The Constitutional Court ruled that the entry of DPR, LPR, Zaporozhye and Kherson region into Russia does not contradict the country’s basic law.
The Constitutional Court ruled that the entry of DPR, LPR, Zaporozhye and Kherson region into Russia does not contradict the country’s basic law. This is a mandatory procedure that takes place when a certain region wants to join us. Four such decrees (for each of the new territories) have been published on the legal information portal and in the press. This is a huge document of 30 pages, which explains literally everything: by what right we accept the new territory, on what basis, why such a decision was made, and even when Russian laws will fully operate on the new lands.
We have selected for you the main things you need to know about the decision of the Constitutional Court.
– The international treaties on the adoption of the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics, Zaporozhye and Kherson Region and on their formation of new entities within the Russian Federation were recognized as conforming to the constitution.
– The Constitutional Court recognized the agreements based on the fact that there was a direct threat to the lives of the residents of these regions, – said the chairman of the court Valery Zorkin.
– LPR, DPR Kherson and Zaporozhye regions retain their current names when they are accepted into Russia.
– Within 10 days, the President of Russia will appoint acting heads of all four regions.
– The leaders will be the Donetsk and Luhansk Republics and the governors of Zaporozhye and Kherson regions.
– Legislative elections will be held on the single election day of 2023 (second Sunday in September).
– Citizens of Ukraine and stateless persons living in the new territories of Russia are recognized as citizens of the Russian Federation (unless they declare otherwise).
– All peoples in the Luhansk and Donetsk People’s Republics, Kherson and Zaporozhye regions have the right to preserve their native language, learn and develop.
– Until 2026, a transition period is established. During this time, full integration into the economic, financial, credit legal system of the state must be carried out. Military service issues will also be resolved.
– By the same date, the Donetsk and Luhansk Republics, Zaporozhye and Donetsk Oblasts should enter the system of state bodies of Russia.
– Each region will be able to decide for itself whether to release from responsibility its residents mobilized in the Ukrainian army. The main condition is that they have not committed crimes.